Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Broccoli, Bacon & Quinoa Fritters


I saw this recipe in the April/May 2012 Donna Hay. I had only recently discovered quinoa so I thought it was time to give it a chance! I love the bacon & broccoli combo so I was interested to see how the flavours would work with the nuttiness of the quinoa.

I was quite pleased with how these turned out. They were quick to prepare & pretty yummy – plus REALLY filling! This is my adapted version of the recipe and serves 3 as a large entrĂ©e & 4-5 as a starter.

Ingredients:

2 rashers bacon, rind removed & chopped
1 x 400g can white cannellini beans, drained, rinsed & mashed
150g steamed broccoli, finely chopped
1 ½ cups cooked quinoa (See here for how to cook quinoa)
Handful grated mozzarella
1 large egg
1 heaped tablespoon pesto or basil paste
Olive oil for frying
Salt & Pepper
Tomato chutney, to serve

Method:

1. Cook the bacon in a large non-stick pan until golden.

2. Place mashed cannellini beans, broccoli, quinoa, mozzarella, egg, bacon, pesto & salt & pepper in a bowl & mix well to combine. Shape either 2 tablespoonful’s of mix (for a large rissole shape) or 1 tablespoonful of mix (for a small fritter shape) into fritters. Refrigerate for ½ hour.

3. Heat oil in a large fry pan over medium heat. Cook fritters in batches for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden. Serve with good tomato chutney (I prefer the great flavour of Baxters!) and a green salad.


This is my prefered brand of tomato chutney! Give it a try! Quinoa will surprise you :)

Sunny xx

0 comments:

 
template by suckmylolly.com